Creating and maintaining an effective storage area in your business can be challenging, especially if you have limited space and lots to store, but purchasing a shelving unit can take your storage capacity to new heights. There are all kinds of shelves, materials, components, and accessories to choose from when looking into buying a shelving unit. This guide will explain all things shelving-related and inform you on how to pick the perfect shelving unit for your commercial kitchen!
Shop All Shelving
- Chrome-plated wire shelving units are great for dry storage or heated environments, including stockrooms, warehouses, garages, and retail applications
- Prone to rust if used in a humid environment
- Designed to increase visibility and ventilation, chrome wire shelves may or may not come with a clear epoxy coating, but many of these units are NSF Listed
- Epoxy-coated wire shelving units are much more resistant to humid environments such as warewashing areas, walk-in coolers, or moist storage
- Different manufacturers have different colors of epoxy-coated shelves available, but all colors of epoxy will give you the same great protection against rapid corrosion
- Two of the most common colors include black epoxy-coated wire shelving, which is often used in retail settings or warehouses because of its subtle coloring, and green epoxy wire shelving, which is more characteristic of the food service industry
- Drop mat shelving combines epoxy-coated wire shelving with removable polymer drop mats. Just like epoxy shelving, these units are resistant to rust and suitable for moist or humid environments
- Removable drop mats easily detach from the shelving unit and can be placed directly in the dishwasher for a quick clean
- Ideal for busy storage areas that require frequent cleaning thanks to the ease of sanitizing the drop shelving
- Polypropylene or polymer shelving units are extremely corrosion-resistant and will not rust even in the presence of salt water or sea air
- Generally constructed of metal with a thick outer coating of polypropylene or a polymer that makes them just as strong as regular metal shelving units
- The components are dishwasher safe and can be easily wiped clean
- Many manufacturers offer longer warranties on this type of shelving unit
- Antimicrobial shelves can be constructed of the any of the materials above, but they come with an extra layer of antimicrobial agent such as Microban built in
- The added layer protects your shelving unit from bacteria, mold, mildew, and fungi that could potentially contaminate food or cause unpleasant odors
- Stainless steel shelving is one of the most durable and versatile types of shelving available
- Thanks to its natural corrosion resistance, it withstands rough, heavy-use applications in virtually any environment, whether wet or dry
- From food storage in walk-in coolers to retail use to warehouse storage, stainless steel shelving is the high-quality option to suit any area, purpose, or industry
Because solid shelves have no openings on their surface, any size or type of item can be stored on them without the risk of it slipping through the rails or spilling onto the items below it. Solid shelves are also easy to clean and maintain since dust and grime won't get trapped in between the wires. The downside to solid shelves is that they don't breathe as well as vented shelves, which makes them best for dry storage, garage storage, or retail applications.
Vented shelves are a great option for any type of cold storage application because they promote air circulation through the unit for maximum product shelf life. They also offer greater visibility when trying to identify what items you have in inventory. The downside of vented shelves is that they are more difficult to clean and don't prevent items on higher shelves from dripping or spilling onto items on lower shelves.
Triangle shelves are designed specifically to fit into tight corners so you don't lose any valuable storage space. Generally, these shelves can be used with the same posts as regular rectangular shelves.
Stationary posts are not designed for transport. These should be used in areas that are consistently used for storage and aren't often rearranged.
Mobile posts give you the option to easily move your shelving unit from place to place. Plus, having a mobile unit makes cleaning behind and under shelves a breeze since you can simply roll the unit away from the wall and roll it back when you are finished.
Keeping bottles of Riesling, Merlot, Pinot Grigio, and more is easy and inexpensive with wire wine rack shelving. Wine shelves are designed to hold bottles at the proper angle to preserve wine quality as well as allow air to circulate through the shelves to maintain consistent, cool temperatures.
Ideal for creating storage space over stainless steel prep tables and other work areas, wall-mount shelving will allow you to keep ingredient canisters, spices, and other important prep tools organized. These shelves are often made of durable stainless steel and come in a variety of lengths and widths to fit your space. Shelving for specific purposes is available, too. Microwave shelves provide storage space for small appliances, and glass and dish rack shelves help keep tableware and racks off your countertops.
Dunnage racks are perfect for storing bulk ingredients such as flour or sugar off of the floor. These versatile restaurant racks come in a variety of materials, including aluminum and polymer, as well as in mobile and stationary models. Whether you need a heavy duty option or a standard unit, we have a dunnage rack that will meet the needs of your foodservice operation.
Security shelving is a great option when you need to protect your employees' valuables or sensitive items like high end liquor. These units typically lock, but still allow you to view their contents through their open wire walls.
High density shelving units are designed to greatly reduce the space required for a traditional storage area. In fact, it eliminates the shelf-aisle-shelf-aisle layout and creates a space with a movable aisle instead. This is accomplished by mounting your shelving units on a track system where they can be rolled from side to side depending on which shelf you need to access. For buildings with too much stuff and too little space, high density shelving can be a godsend.
Cantilever shelving is a great option for space-efficiency. This type of shelving gets its support from a rear support system, creating an overhead storage solution without drilling into the wall. These shelves can be used above tables or countertops to maximize storage space.
Adjustable shelving makes it easy to customize and change your display based on your needs. This option provides flexibility that is great for businesses with changing product offerings. The design allows you to move the shelves up or down along the rack's posts, ensuring products of various sizes can fit.
In addition to choosing the best shelving unit for your establishment, ensure you have all the accessories you need to streamline your storage area.
Regency Space Solutions offers a broad range of shelving units and accessories to fit your needs and your budget! Their shelves, posts, and other components are manufactured using only the highest quality materials, which makes them ideal for tough kitchen environments. Regency Space Solutions specializes in durable wire shelving options, offering everything from basic chrome wire units for dry storage to epoxy coated units that can easily stand up to humid environments. With the multitude of accessories available, customizing a Regency shelving unit is easy. Plus, if you're really stuck, they have shelf kits that come with all the components in one package ready to assemble!
Featuring a durable polypropylene construction, Cambro shelving is a great option for businesses that are located near the ocean or in particularly humid climates since it is completely corrosion resistant. Cambro Camshelving® is a versatile option as well. With several different types of shelves, posts, and other accessories available, these easily adjustable shelving units can be built and reconfigured again and again.
Metro manufactures basic wire shelving units as well as shelving units with polymer shelves or shelving mats. Some Metro products come with antimicrobial technology built in for superior resistance to mold or bacteria. Popular Metro lines include:here for more information on the different Metro shelving lines.
Join Our Mailing List
Receive coupon codes and more right to your inbox.